Every persons life is but a fairytale written by God's own hands
Hans Christian Andersen


Our Russian Princess

Friday, January 13, 2012

In March of 2002 ,we heard the words that any young married couple was hoping to hear  ...a new baby was coming. After a great pregnancy and what seemed like an eternity, I was scheduled for an induction. So on December 9th, I walked into that hospital for a routine delivery that turned out to be anything but routine. After delivering Jake, I developed complications that resulted in an emergency hysterectomy. The last thing I remember was going into shock and being wheeled into surgery. As I closed my eyes, I really thought my life was over. By the grace of God, I survived and left that hospital with a healthy baby boy. I was grateful to be alive and did not mourn the fact that I would not be able to have any more children. I knew that God had just closed that chapter in our lives because he had already written a new one.

In 2007, we began researching international adoption. We had narrowed it down to Vietnam, SN China,Guatemala and Russia. As we were waiting to begin our home study, Vietnam and Guatemala were beginning to shut down. After much discussion were decided the Russian program was a great fit for us.
So on July 5th,2008, we boarded a flight for Moscow. We had no information prior to travelling other than there was a little girl on the other side of the world waiting on a family. Two days later we met Ava. She was a tiny baby girl who was being "housed" most of her life in an hospital waiting for a crib to open up at the orphanage. I kept a journal of our journey to Ava . This is the entry from the day we met.


 .

The Day We Met


We went to the MOE today to get our official referral. We waited for a couple of hours in a long hallway for our turn to be called in. We waited with two other American couples. One of the families were with CSS and shared their knowledge of the IA process.Our translator Violet left us with Svetelana as we waiting for our invitation to go in the back.Finally, we were all called back to a small room. There was a round table in the center of the room and we all took a seat. On both sides of the room were four ladies working on computers.We sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity. It was the most nervous silence that I have ever experienced. A lady entered the room with two large files in her hands. She sat them on the table and began speaking Russian to S asking which family would be going first. S pointed at us. I glanced down at the file but I did not see a photo on the front. She opened the file and took out a sheet of paper with a lot of data and at the top left hand corner was a small black and white photo.She then turned the paper around and started reading the data in Russian.They all kinda sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher! S was translating but I was focused on that little photo.I recognized you from the database. It was the same photo that I had seen everyday for months.


Referral Photo


 I was totally shocked that you were so young and blond/light eyed. We were open any ethnicity and up to 24 months. We expected a brown-eyed beauty that was at the top end of our age bracket.This was definitely proof that God has a sense of humor! Always remember EVERYTHING IS ON HIS TIME AND IT IS HIS PLAN!
We were then given all the basic info about you .Then they asked if we would like to met you . Bret said I yelled out "Yes" before they could finish the question.We then drove to Podolsk. We arrived at the gates of the baby home located in the middle of the town of Podolsk.Violet took us inside past the guard. When you walked into the yard there was colorful murals painted on the walls and play ground equipment scattered throughout the grounds.In the backdrop was a large two story building.When entering the building we could not help but notice the silence. Violet took us straight to the directors office where we learned you were taken to the hospital due to a fever and exposure to the chicken pox.Violet was determined we were going to see you today so after much persuasion the clinic granted us permission to visit you. So we were back in the car and heading to the hospital.When we arrived we were shocked to see the conditions of the hospital.We went to the last building in the back where they kept the children. We rang the door bell and Violet worked her magic. We were asked to wait in the hallway while they went in in the back to get you. We had hired Dr. M to come and evaluate your medicals. I have to say I was scared to death!I managed to maintain that "deer in the headlights" look all day!


Minutes passed and this doctor that was no taller than 4'6 comes walking out with something that looks half her size wrapped in many blankets.She laid you on a table in the hallway and began unwrapping you. Layer by layer whatever was in there was getting smaller and smaller. Then there were two big beautiful grey eyes just sizing up each of us.I was shocked to see how tiny you were. You were one week shy of your first b-day and weighted what your brothers weighted at 3-4 months.We studied each other for a few minutes and then I scooped you up.You did not cry at all.They explained that you had been there for 21 days in the "box".I think you were glad for the human attention and change of scenery. Dr. M evaluated you as we helped and watched.We were amazed at how bright and alert you were. We would give you our fingers and you would pull yourself up. Small but very mighty! You made excellent eye contact and studied every detail of our faces. But you were completely silent and had a frown on your face.



 Dr. M talked to us about your medical report.You had a lengthy list on your medical: PFO(small hole in between atrium's of the heart) ,rickets ,pulmonary stenosis, premature at 36 wks , 4.4 lbs at birth, delay about 3-4 months,angel kiss on your forehead and large stork bite at the base of your neck! Dr. M felt the hole was closed because he could not detect a murmur and all of you other issues would resolve with good nutrition and the love of a family.Before we knew it ,it was time for your nap . I walked out of that building in a daze. Where was my sign . I just knew that God was going to give me a sign that you were our daughter.I had seen your picture on the database countless times but I would always just pass it over. When we got in the car Violet asked what we thought of the baby. Daddy jumped in and said "When can we take her home". Well, that was my sign ! This man was terrified of a baby with a heart condition.He walked out of that building and knew without any doubt that you were our daughter. You managed to wrap that man around your finger in two short hours. You definitely beat my time! I leave there with so much on my mind it is difficult to process it all.All that I know is that I have just met my little girl!

Today , Ava is  a spunky, energetic, loving little girl.She has overcome all of  the obstacles that were placed before her. She loves life and her family with all of her heart! She has taught us so much about life. An unlikely little professor she is !


Through Ava's adoption we had learned that all of these children have some sort of "special need" . Most of these precious kids have emotional needs and some have physical  needs but through Ava, we had learned that special needs adoption is not "scary". These children are not defined by this label.
God knew what He was doing when He placed this sweet girl in our arms. Through Ava's adoption ,it opened our eyes and paved the way into China's special needs program.

No comments:

Post a Comment